Leukeran is a medicine whose active component is Chlorambucil. Chlorambucil whose mechanism of action is to suppress the processes of lymphocyte synthesis. The result of the action is the destruction of cells and the stopping of their division. The effect of the medication treatment is noticeable after about 3-4 weeks. Leukeran FDA approval allowed thousands of people all over the world combat the most complicated disease of the 21st century – cancer.
Although the instruction describes the main indications and contraindications that are to be taken into account when considering Leukeran dosage forms; only the medical advisor should prescribe this medicine to the patient.
Application and Dosage
The instruction to the drug contains the full description of the methods of its application and dosing in the curing of various ailments. However, the doses are prescribed individually. Tablets are ingested without being chewed and broken into halves. Chlorambucil administration is to be performed under doctor’s supervision.
Dosage for children
Leukeran is prescribed to heal lymphogranulomatosis and malignant lymphomas in kids. The dosage doesn’t differ from those prescribed to adults. The max daily dose of the substance is 0.1 mg/kg.
Dosage for adult patients
- Lymphoma malignant: 0.1-0.2 mg/kg per day – the induction dosing, later – a supportive care with a lower dose per day.
- Lymphocytic leukemia chronic: 0.15 mg/kg per day – the induction dosing. 4 weeks after the reduction of leukocytes to 10 thousand mm3, the course of treatment should be repeated at a dosage of 0.1 mg/kg per day.
- Waldenstrom’s macroglobulinemia: the advised dosage is 6-12 mg per day until the manifestation of leukopenia, after which it is better to start the supportive care with Leukeran at a dosage of 2-8 mg a day for an indefinite time.
- Breast cancer: 0.2 m /kg per day. The duration of the course is 4 weeks; 14-20 mg per day together with prednisolone and with therapy only with Leukeran for 4-6 weeks regardless of body weight.
- Ovarian cancer: 0.2 mg/kg per day. The duration of the course is 4-6 weeks. A similar dosage is prescribed with supportive healing to maintain the number of leukocytes from 4 thousand/μL.
- Hodgkin’s disease: 0.2 mg/kg per day. The duration of the course is 4-8 weeks.
The maximum dosage of the drug per day for an adult is 14 mg/kg with a maximum duration of therapy of 12 weeks. Some doctors believe that the maximum safe dosage is 8.2 mg/kg and the max period is 6 weeks. All this is to be chosen individually.
Important! The use of the drug is restricted to be taken in the following cases:
- kidney and liver failures
- breastfeeding period
- gastrointestinal tract disorders
- bone marrow function disorders
Leukeran overdose has the following symptoms: pancytopenia, coordination disorder, periodic epileptic seizures, increased excitability. In case of an overdose, it is necessary to consult the physician ASAP to get rid of the adverse effects of overdosing and avoid potential allergic reactions.